You just got your dog groomed ($60 to $70 later if you are lucky), they are looking great, smelling fabulous, and best of all they are clean! After all that, within a few days...they look as if they have never seen a groomer. It can be super frustrating, not to mention time and money consuming, having to visit a groomer all the time. Here’s 5 ways to keep your dog clean and groomed until their next grooming session:
1. Brush Their Fur: Brushing your dog is about more than just looks, it also helps keep their skin and coat healthy. Brushing removes any dirt, debris, or excess fur. It also distributes natural oils which will leave their coat shiny and healthy, while detangling any mattes.
2. Trim their nails: If your dog’s nails are too long it could cause them pain and difficulty walking. When you see their nails touching the floor or hear them clicking when they walk, it is time for a trim. Be extremely careful when cutting your dog’s nails because they are supplied with blood. If your dog has dark nails, use a flashlight to see where the blood supply ends. Just trim the tip of the nail and file if needed.
3. Clean their ears: You should clean your dog’s ears at least monthly, especially if they have floppy ears. Wax and bacteria can build in the canal and lead to more serious issues. Purchase a dog ear cleaning solution and use a cotton ball to gently clean the outside and inside of their ears, without going too deep. Be sure to clean inside any folds in the ear.
4. Clean their eye area: Most dogs get “drippy” eyes, where goop can stain underneath their eye area. It can become crusty and uncomfortable for your pup. Use warm water on a washcloth to loosen it, and then use a comb to remove it. If the goop leaves a stain (especially on light-colored dogs), you can purchase a solution to remove it. Make sure your dog is not experiencing any excess, smelly, or strangely colored eye discharge as it could be a sign of medical problems.
5. Brush Their Teeth: Brushing your dog’s teeth is important to prevent tartar, plaque, and cavities, which can lead to serious health issues. Always use a toothbrush and toothpaste that is specially made for dogs. Brushing your dog’s teeth can be a hassle, so pick up some of our dental wash water additive! It is super easy to use and only requires you rinsing your dog's bowl, filling it with water, adding a capsize amount of our water additive, and serving it to your dog daily! It is that simple! Our rinse is completely odorless and tasteless, so your dog won’t even notice it is there. Amazing ingredients such as Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate, can remove stains and debris leaving teeth whiter, while fighting plaque and tartar build-up. In addition, aloe leaf extract contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which prevents cavities, and is rich in antioxidants which relieves inflammation due to gum disease. Pick some up today to keep your pup’s mouth in tip top shape!
Keeping your dog clean and groomed is important not only for their looks, but for their health. Be sure to stay on top of things in between grooming sessions to make sure your dog is happy, healthy, and looking great!