SAVE 25% OFF WHEN YOU SUBSCRIBE!
by Felix + Fetch
It's that time of year where we are in no shortage of pumpkins! While carving and painting them is super fun, they actually have benefits when it comes to your pup's digestion. Let's look at how:
If your pup is suffering from loose stools or diarrhea, the fiber in pumpkin can help make it solid and regular.
Pumpkin has prebiotic properties which help regulate the growth of good bacteria in your dog’s intestines, while keeping bad bacteria at bay
Pumpkin is a great food option for weight control due to the fact that it is high in fiber and low in calories.
1. Do not feed your dog a carved pumpkin, as it can contain mold or bacteria.
Feed your dog plain pumpkin and steer clear of spices or sugar, which can be harmful to your pup. Do not feed your dog pumpkin pie.
2. Stay away from sugar-free canned pumpkin, as it can contain xylitol which is harmful to dogs.
3. If you feed your dog pumpkin seeds (which can be good for their urinary tract, make sure to roast, peel, grind, and NEVER salt the seeds. We recommend checking with a vet before giving to your dog.
1. Frozen Pumpkin Treats: For this recipe you will need 1 cup of plain yogurt and one cup of pumpkin puree. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and divide evenly into ice trays or molds. Freeze for 24 hours and then serve!
2. Roasted Pumpkin: For this recipe, all you need is...you guessed it! A pumpkin! Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and roast the pumpkin for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on its size. Allow it to cool and then puree the pumpkin meat. Share with your dog in moderation.
3. Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Treats: For this recipe, you will need 2 and a half cups of whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl, adding water as needed to make the dough workable. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Bake about 40 minutes until hard. Let them cool and then serve to your pup!
One of the reasons pumpkin is so great is because it aids in digestion. Adding pumpkin as well as our Tummy Health Probiotic Chews to your dog's diet will help support their digestive tract tremendously. Our probiotics contain a powerful blend of digestive enzymes to help promote healthy digestion and keep your pet’s tummy in tip-top shape. It is formulated for dogs of all breeds and sizes to soothe upset bellies, promote a healthy digestive tract, support healthy bowel movements, and perfect gut flora balance of “good” and “bad” gut bacteria. Pick some up NOW!